I keep thinking and rethinking how to keep the main thing the main thing in worship.
What should be the guiding vision for worship ministry ?
The vision for worship at OurCoolChurch is to become:
A Wholehearted Worshiping Community
1) Wholehearted summarizes Mark 12:30
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
This is prioritized by Jesus as the First and Greatest commandment. (Quoting the “the Shema” in Deuteronomy 6:4-5)
2) Worshiping actions are described throughout scripture, but one highlight is Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. (NIV1984)
Instruct and direct one another using good common sense. And sing, sing your hearts out to God! (The Message)
3) Community refers to a group of people with whom God desires to dwell.
- I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Exodus 6:7
- I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people Lev 26:12
- But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:9
Demographics, styles and preferences will change.
God’s heart does not.
Vision charts the course and sets the direction of a ministries activities.
So, how do we cultivate a wholehearted worshiping community?